Recent Posts

Friday, October 9, 2009

Yummy Oatmeal & Friends Across the World

First, let me say that when I logged in today I found the most wonderful comment waiting to be moderated. It was from a former Peace Corps volunteer who had served with Andrew at the neighboring village -- and who had been his best friend and "his sis" for many, many months until she returned stateside this past late spring. She told me that she had been trying unsuccessfully to reach Drew for over a month (he has a new cell phone due to an "incident" in Dar a while back, lol! and she also didn't have his current email addy) and was hoping I would be able to connect them. She found my blog through the spectacular world of internet search and left her email address for me (so, no, Jessica, I won't post your comment, lol!). I'm so very excited to re-connect the old friends, the "brother and sister" back together as I know how much Drew has missed "talking" with her and they have much to catch up on!

Now, on a completely different note....weather has changed here, heading us directly into a chilly fall and the perfect time for this great recipe I just received for "Baked Oatmeal" - a perfect dish to prep the night before and mix together and bake in the morning (and, if you're a "small" crowd, eat off all week long!)

Baked Oatmeal

3/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
3 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats

2 c. milk
1/2 c. oil (can use all olive oil, all canola, or 1/2 & 1/2)
2 eggs beaten
1/2 c. applesauce
1 t. vanilla

1 fresh apple chopped
1/4 c. chopped dried fruit (cranberries, etc.)
1/2 c. ch. nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc.)

Preheat oven to 375 (350 for glass pan). Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir well. Add fruit and nuts. Pour into greased 9 X 13 inch pan. Bake 25 minutes.

Some more TIPS for this yummy oatmeal:

* Night before prep dry ingredients, wet ingredients (refrigerate), and chopped fruit/nuts except apple (wait til morning to chop apple to prevent turning brown).
* I have tried this with all olive oil and it is good, but a little "heavy" - I'm probably going to do the 1/2 & 1/2 next time.
* An easy way to do the applesauce is if you have snack packs - they are 1/2 c. each :)
* Might be interesting/healthy to try this with egg whites/egg substitutes, too.
* I've been told this can be made with Splenda instead of the brown sugar.
* Makes a great breakfast...as well as a simple supper later in the week, lol!

0 comments:

Post a Comment